LEAD UP LESSONS
Enrich your career with shared learning, inspiration, and exploration of new innovations and best practices in wellness.
8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Zumba Jump Start GoldEliza Stone & Joy ProutyPer-person fee to attend: $139.00
Learn the foundation and formula of Zumba® and how to adapt it for an active older audience. The Jump Start Gold program brings together the foundation of Zumba Fitness as taught in B1 Instructor Training and Zumba Gold Training. This workshop addresses the anatomical, physiological and psychological needs specific to the older-adult population. It also prepares you to teach participants just starting their journey to a fit and healthy lifestyle. Jump Start Gold teaches you the foundation and formula to teach a safe, effective Zumba class and prepares you to teach Zumba Gold classes by integrating the concepts of the Zumba Gold Program. You will receive a one-year Basic Zumba License and a Zumba Gold License if you are a member in good standing of ZIN [Zumba Instructor Network]. There are no prerequisites to take this workshop.
You’ll be able to:
- Apply the structure of a Zumba class and adapt it for active older adults, beginners, and individuals with special needs.
- Teach the Zumba basic rhythms and moves and modify them for gold participants using safe and easy progressions.
- Address the primary components of fitness as they relate to an aging population.
Faculty: Eliza Stone, RD, ACE, AFAA, AEA, Zumba Education Specialist (ZES) and Personal Trainer; and Joy Prouty, ACSM, ACE, AFAA, AEA, Codeveloper, Zumba Gold Program, and Director of Education–Programming and Training, Zumba Fitness, LLC.
9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Functional Multidirectional Balance Circuits: Increase movement and decrease fallsErica DeMarch & Mike StuderPer-person fee to attend: $139.00
Engage your community members in fun and functional movements that can boost activity levels while reducing falls risk. Individuals who can independently sit to stand, change directions while walking, move in bed, safely stand and reach, and get up from the floor will likely be more physically active and better able to perform daily activities. Learn practical skills and drills to integrate these five functional movements into a comprehensive program that addresses five fitness components—flexibility, strength, power, endurance and multidirectional balance.
Discover how to enhance your balance programming by offering some stimulus for lateral reactions, strength, cross-over steps and backward losses of balance. Improved flexibility, strength, power, reaction speed and confidence will help residents/members better avoid falls that cause major injuries.
Learn how to boost your program with auditory, visual and tactile feedback. Also, offer new cues to improve control and maximize performance. Explore practical strategies to integrate fun, games, music, visual targeting and everyday movements into your programs to maximize participation and benefits.
You’ll be able to:
- Provide five new functional exercises addressing each of the five fitness components to improve daily mobility.
- Provide three new ways to deliver autonomy within your exercise circuits.
- Provide three different cues to improve performance in sit-to-stand, floor transfers and balance movements.
- Implement multidirectional balance programs for optimal fall prevention.
- Implement multidirectional resource training to help prevent lateral and backward falls.
- Measure improvements in participants’ capacity to prevent a multidirectional fall.
Faculty: Erica DeMarch, PT, MSPT, CEO and Founder, Step and Connect; and Mike Studer, PT, DPT, Adjunct Professor, Oregon State University, and Cofounder/Co-owner, Spark Rehabilitation and Wellness.
6:30pm – 7:00pm
Mindfulness and moonlight
Join Lawrence Biscontini’s “Full Moon Gathering” to start your conference experience on a positive, mindful note. Through guided meditation, mindful movement, and reflection, tune in to your inner self and others in a supportive, welcoming environment. Whether you’re a first- time ICAA attendee or a returning participant, you’ll enjoy this opportunity to set intentions for the week and connect with others as you “moonbathe” in the rising Hunter’s Moon.
Note: Meet at the registration desk.